When I was overdue, and quite sick with a cough, I convinced myself that a complicated sewing project would be just the ticket to take my mind off my worries. Well, it did for a little bit, and then I set it aside. I finally finished it last Saturday, in time for The Baby to wear it to church this Sunday. Thankfully it still fits!
I used Simplicity 2900, size XS. I made the dress, View A; and the slip, View B:
I used a sheer fabric for the dress, and kept it simple with no lace on the collar or sleeves, and no embroidery as the pattern shows.
All those little tucks took a lot of work! There are also pleats at the armhole seam, which makes the dress fit very well.
This is the closest I've come to "heirloom" sewing. The pattern didn't call for it, but the fabric easily frayed, so I used french seams and bound the armhole seams. I do have a serger, but I thought that the french seams would look neater.
I made the slip out of 100% white cotton. The pattern calls for flat lace around the neck, armholes, and hem. I used pre-gathered lace around the hem, and just bound the seams around the arms and neck. Instead of cutting out facings (on the bias) for the neck and armhole edges, I simply used bias tape. It worked well since it already had a folded edge. I also left off the embroidery, since I didn't want it showing through the dress.
Pardon the wrinkliness of the slip; as I mentioned it is 100% cotton (from my fabric bin, I think it is actually muslin, which probably isn't the best choice of fabric. Oh well!)
I enjoyed making this little outfit. Besides aprons, I haven't used any of the vintage patterns, so this was fun. My next project will be much simpler, and hopefully it won't take me 2 1/2 months to complete! :-)
29 minutes ago